The SCCG has prepared a resource package to assist Councils and other interested stakeholders to encourage the correct disposal of cigarette butts.
Aim and Objectives
The Preventing Cigarette Butt Litter in the Sydney Coastal Region project purpose was to provide Member Councils, other authorities and the community with a range of best practice tools and information that they can implement to address cigarette butt littering in their local area.
Outcomes / Outputs
The principle outcome of the project is an innovative resource package that provides Councils and in turn the community with information on the extent and problems of cigarette butt littering, legislation, enforcement ideas, bins and devices available and a range of example education initiatives. Secondary outcomes have been greater community awareness of the effects of cigarette butt littering and a reduction in cigarette butt litter.
Contents of the Resource Package:
- Introduction (Concept and how to use the package)
- Facts and Figures (Extent of littering and effect of the pollution).Bins and Devices (Example bins and devices to assist correct disposal).
- Legislation (Relevant to littering and smoking area restrictions).
- Enforcement (Licensing, PINs, MOUs, property leases, standard conditions for development).
- Education (Education projects, activities, media releases, posters, stickers).
- Relevant Contacts and Internet Site Details.
For a hard copy of the Resource Package or for more information please contact SCCG.