On Sunday 19 September
NSW Deputy Premier, John Barilaro and Minister for Agriculture and Western NSW, Adam Marshall, announced a further $21.4 million to fund the Shark Management Program.
The 2021/22 NSW Shark Management Program includes:
- Scaling up Surf Life Saving NSW’s drone surveillance program to provide more beach coverage in more Local Government Area’s (LGA’s);
- Increasing coastal surveillance using VR4G listening stations to ensure at least one in every LGA;
- Expanding the rollout of SMART (Shark Management Alert in Real Time) drumlines technology;
- Continuation of beach meshing; and
- Boosting shark tagging, research and community education programs.
A map of the NSW Shark Management Program the proposed measures to be installed in each LGA can be accessed here.
The NSW Government was thankful to the 25 coastal councils who responded to the Preferred Shark Mitigation Measures in NSW survey along with the 40 organisations and 4,023 individuals.